Sunday, May 25, 2014

Gosh it had Been Awhile- so Sorry...Here is an Update

The days fly by here...we are nearing six months here on the other side of the globe. When we arrived in December it was hot and humid and the days were long. Now we are nearing winter (July/August!) and the days are shorter and the weather is cool enough for jeans or a long sleeve t. The sugar cane was barely up to the fence in the backyard when we arrived and now it towers over it and it is blooming (achhooooo!). Fred said that it is related to corn somehow. 

But with everything going on, my work has not slowed- and I love my work.  I have several books in the works and several under contract. I am looking forward to heading to the States and being able to do the research I cannot from here and to check in with my tribe of amazing and accomplished artists and writers before I return to the antipode. 

I keep a journal and these are some notes: the same birds come by every morning and our favorite is a scrappy looking Madagascar fody we call "Billy", the sky is ablaze with stars instead of light noise at night, most of the drivers on this island should not be allowed to drive, giant fruit bats hang from telephone wires during the day, I appreciate house geckos, I wonder what this place looked like before people arrived? , it's nice to take a break and sit outside (when that "gardener" is not here), the ocean water is an incredible blue, don't drink the powdered milk from India, those red flowers make me happy, ANOTHER holiday??? , I love exploring a new place with my Pookie , I wish I had a book that is not electronic here and Chilula hot sauce. 










No comments: