Thursday, December 05, 2013

10 days...




Going through the exercise of paring down and wrapping things up in one place to move to a completely unknown place (to me) on the exact opposite end of the world is what I've been trying to wrap my head around for the last few months- while wrapping up several book projects, parenting, and all of life's stuff. We all have stuff...

I'm fitting my literal stuff into 2 suitcases-we all are. Interesting to see what it all comes down to for the 3 of us- for me it's art stuff; notebooks, laptop, drawing tablet, paints, papers and books- pictures of books- I have beautiful books. I can't actually bring them, but pictures will remind me of them- I won't get to feel the paper, or interact with them...I have books from my grandfather that I know that he read and to touch the paper- well, it's a link. And I', brinking my snorkel and flippers to do some serious communing with the fishes. Anyhow- Tristam's priorities are Pokemon and Doctor Who by the looks of his pile of stuff . And Fred- I haven't seen his pile yet, because he packs last minute. 

I've been taking loads of pictures of books that I can't take with me and of art I made and forgot about...and pictures of textures and shadows and things I will miss here are home. I've been noticing sounds and small things like the the strip of sky I can see from the tall window in my studio. 

I'm drawing more now that isn't work related- for the first time in years. I'm looking at this time in Mauritius as a reset- revisiting ideas I have had about my life and work and trying to pay attention. I think this is going to be very good for all of us.  A move out of our comfort zone including new language and customs...

No comments: